Due to the recent amendments to the BVI’s Anti-Money Laundering (AML), it is now a requirement that for all BVI companies the Register of Directors be filed with the BVI registry. For new incorporations, the Register of Directors would need to be filed within twenty-one (21) days after the first directors have been appointed and any changes thereafter are to be recorded within thirty (30) days.
For existing companies there is a transitional twelve (12) months period from 1st April, 2016 until 31st March, 2017.
Note that the Register of Directors may be filed without attracting a BVI registry fee, only BVI agents’ fees from 1st April, 2016 to 30th September, 2016. From 1st October, 2016 to 31st March, 2017 there is a filing fee payable.
Failure to comply with the above filing requirements will attract penalties imposed by the BVI authorities.
The Register of Directors to be filed with the BVI registry will need to contain the following particulars:-
- For individual director
- full name;
- former name, if any, unless the former name was changed by deed poll or other legal means or disused for more than 10 years;
- date of appointment as director or nomination as reserve director;
- date of cessation as director or reserve director;
- address for the service of documents;
- usual residential address, unless that address is the same as the individual’s address for the service of documents;
- date and place of birth;
- For corporate director
- corporate name;
- corporate or registration number, if any;
- registered office or principal office;
- address, but if the corporate director is incorporated or registered in the BVI, its corporate or registration number only;
- date of appointment as corporate director;
- date of cessation as corporate director;
- place of incorporation or registration and date of such incorporation or registration.
The above information will be private and will not be available to anybody other than BVI regulatory and law enforcement authorities and will be made available only if a Court order is secured by a competent authority. In view of the above, your consent is requested so that we proceed with filing of the Register of Directors of the Company(ies) we administer for you or in case the Company is not administered by us please send this to the registered agent direct with a copy to us to ensure that this obligation has been complied with.